Celery is quite possibly the perfect gout-fighting food. For thousands of years, people have used celery as a natural gout treatment diet because it:
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory, helping stop the pain of gout attacks.
- Is a diuretic, promoting the excretion of uric acid through urine.
- Helps manage uric acid by acting as an xanthine oxidase (XO) inhibitor, similar to allopurinol.
- Is highly alkalizing, which helps reduce uric acid buildup.
Celery Nutrients That Help Fight Gout
Celery is rich in gout-fighting macro-nutrients, including:
- Dietary sodium, an alkalizing mineral and healthy form of sodium your body needs (unlike table salt).
- Potassium, a very alkalizing mineral that helps balance body pH and correct acidosis.
- Magnesium, a mineral that helps calm the nervous system and promote better sleep.
- Fiber, important for digestive health and constipation relief. Celery is high in beneficial insoluble fiber.
- Antioxidants, like vitamin C, beta-carotene, and manganese, which are needed to prevent gout.
3nB to Reduce Uric Acid
Scientists recently identified the compound in celery that makes it a mainstay in the gout diet: 3-n-butylphthalide (3nB). 3nB has been shown to reduce uric acid production by acting as a xanthine oxidase inhibitor, like allopurinol. 3nB has also been found to improve blood circulation, which promotes efficient uric acid elimination by the kidneys.
. . .
Yep, I’ve lost that email! I wanted to watch again the sections on sleep and stress and water. I have been going great with diet, no more junk food for me. The other day I got a bit of an ache in my joint, the first one since I did your program. Back then I had it in both feet, ankles, and knees, so I know what you suggested really works. Thanks for the phone conversation back then too, it was good to talk with someone who has been there and done that, and is not just selling the tablets like my Dr. was trying to do to me. If you could send me that email again I would really appreciate it, and I will file it better this time!
Thanks once again Bert, I hope life is treating you well,
. . .
Celery to Reduce Inflammation
Celery is also rich in several phytonutrients that combat inflammation, like:
- Apigenin — a highly active bioflavonoid that acts as a COX-2 inhibitor to halt inflammation and reduce gout pain.
- Luteolin — a flavonoid shown to prevent inflammation by inhibiting certain pathways in the central nervous system, thus helping prevent gout.
Forms of Celery for Gout
The medicinal qualities of celery are found in the fresh stalks, but are more potent in celery seeds.
I recommend eating 4-8 stalks of fresh celery daily (if possible) and also taking 1-2 celery seed extract pills each day.
The pills provide a more potent concentration of the gout-fighting medicinal compounds, and their convenience helps you take in a consistent amount.
+Bottom Line: Eat lots of fresh celery, and take 1-2 celery seed extract pills daily for maximum gout prevention!
SHARE THE LOVE!